Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Awww - Anty...You Got Caught!



Anty and I participated in a clinic with Molly Tatham on Sunday.  Molly is a Grand Prix rider – showing PSG, I1 and I2 this year.  She is my trainer’s, Meridith, trainer.  With the issues Meridith and I have been having with Anty as of late…we were crossing our fingers that Molly might have some other avenue to try with him to get the collection more consistent, along with riding more through and having greater impulsion. 


Last Thursday Anty was being a butt-head.  Since Thursday, I have been lunging him for a good 20 minutes each day (side reins on), prior to getting on him.  It has really helped with the development of his neck and top line muscles…as well as introducing the fact that he NEEDS to use his rear end!  Saturday afternoon I lunged him – then got on him and asked for an extended trot through the diagonal and Meridith was out at the arena.  She was floored…saying we got a good 3-5 seconds of suspension.  I have to say – I used muscles that I have NEVER used before.  My shoulders and back were achy. 

Molly asked us what we were working on and wanted a bit of background on our riding.  I gave her the scoop and off we went.  We started at a walk – asking for more from the back legs.  She corrected the following:
·         My seat – I have been “following” Anty at the walk with my rear and hips.  Little did I know that doing that actually puts pressure on his spine – “breaking” the connection from front to back.  I am to keep my seat quiet…and “ask” with my legs.
·         Flash – I have never used a flash on a bridle…and Meridith never needed one for any of her horses – so when I bought my bridle – the flash was removed – never used.  I kept it in my tack trunk for a “just in case”.  Molly asked where it was.  One of the other girls ran to get it.  She attached it to Anty’s bridle – having had to tie a knot in it (to make it fit better….need more holes punched).  Anty has been evading the bit (went back to the French Link Snaffle on Friday) and Molly believed the Flash will help in him not opening his mouth anymore. 
·         Hands – outside rein stays taught.  It doesn’t go ANYWHERE.  It should be down and about 5 inches out from the withers – holding solid.  The inside rein – pull to the inside(toward knee/hip) and release – pull to the inside and release.  This shows Anty where I want his head position, along with asking for more ground cover at the same time.  The connection between his head being in the right position and his ability to use his backend flows when his head is where it needs to be.
·         Posting trot – going from the walk to the trot – the aids are quicker.  Instead of pull….release; it’s now sponge/pull – release; sponge/pull – release.  At the same time – my posting needs to be QUIET.  Molly actually gave me a compliment, stating that my upper body position was nice.  She mentioned that my rising up to post was very quiet…however, I needed to make sure that the descent was quiet as well – allowing Anty to move freely and not block his shoulders or spine.

Well – what do you know?!  All of that WORKS!  You will hear Meridith in the video saying “You’re HIRED, Molly”.  We haven’t gotten Anty this round, this fast – EVER.  Now – to keep it up!

You will see from the video that he is a lot quicker going to the left to be through than the right.  However, he did give me a few strides that felt good and round.

On another note – NEW BOOTS!  Those are my LaMundial custom dressage boots.  Comfortable (minus the break in)…stay true to form every ride.  I’ve ridden in them 3 times now and the ankles are already supple – which is lovely.  Worth the wait…however, I wouldn’t want to wait that long again (7 months).

No comments:

Post a Comment